We deliver updates of Orange Fab Asia family startups every month. Please find the news of this month.
Alpaca, a San Mateo-based Fintech startup building AI and database technology for financial trading, announced the closing of a $1,750,000 venture round. Round participants include D4V, a joint-venture fund by IDEO and Genuine Startups, Monex Ventures of Monex Group, the parent company of TradeStation, MUCAP of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Eric Di Benedetto, a leading AI and Fintech angel investor.
FiNC Inc. has raised over 2 billion yen (over US $17.4 million) for the development and deployment this year of a consumer health and wellness platform to be released under the name “FiNC”. Investors this round include Kagome Co., Ltd., The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Mirai Creation Fund (major investment from Toyota Motor Corporation and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation), Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company, Rohto Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., as well as several individual investors.
The service was launched in July 2016 targeting for users overseas. Over 4000 users in 70 countries have used the service so far. FULLER started providing the service to business customers in Japan from this month. By transforming existing website to smartphone app, it allows anyone to create a mobile app with shorter time and lower cost than developing an app from scratch.
Read more https://fuller-inc.com/release/pdf/release-joren-japan.pdf (Japanese)
“HIYAKU Next Enterprise” program is a part of “Silicon Valley-Japan Bridge Project”, sublet by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI). This program targets SMEs and startups from all over Japan with cutting-edge technologies and excellent ideas, and provides them with necessary human networks and knowledge required for global expansion.
New York course
(1) Blincam (Season 5) develops a wearable camera attachable to any pair of eyeglasses that takes a photo when the wearer winks or blinks eyes strongly.
(2) BONX (Season 6) is a wearable transmitter start-up founded by Takahiro Miyasaka, an entrepreneur and a passionate snowboarder. With our bluetooth earphone and chat application, snowboarders can enjoy communicating whilst snowboarding.
(3) Eyes, JAPAN (Season 2) founded in 1995, was the first IT startup from the University of Aizu, Fukushima. In the past 21 years, we have been working on various cutting edge projects in the fields of CG, VR and security. One of our projects, the “FUKUSHIMA Wheel”, was launched after the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
(4) NAIN (Season 3) develops “Hearable APlay” which allows hands-free message exchange. Nain Inc. will create new ways of interaction without forcing the user to use smartphone screen. APlay, together with IoT and wearable technologies, allows people to connect more with others as well as gain more information.
(5) ABEJA (Season 1) promotes the efficiency and automation of industries by utilizing deep learning for big data analysis. ABEJA has been collaborating with researchers from top universities and the company develops its own deep learning algorithms. Our business targets retail distribution and manufacturing.
Participants list https://www.hiyaku.go.jp/en/participant.php
5. Amazon Launchpad is started to sell products by startups including from Orange Fab Tokyo
Amazon Launchpad is a marketplace to sell advanced products developed by startups to the global market. Aplay, earphone with voice assist by NAIN (Season 3), BONX Grip, wearable transmitter (Season 6), and many products by Cerevo (Season 6) are sold on the website.
Amazon Launchpad https://www.amazon.co.jp/b?node=4642905051 (Japanese)